Is Compassion a trustworthy non-profit?
Throughout the years, Compassion has consistently averaged more than 80 percent of total expenditures being used for program activities, with less than 20 percent being used for fund raising and administration. During the past five years, the actual program percentage has averaged nearly 82 percent.
We use conservative accounting methods that do not inflate our effectiveness in this regard. That's why Compassion earns the very highest ratings from independent agencies that look into the financial management of nonprofit organizations, including:
- Forbes "Giving Smartly" Charities 2001 Listing
- The NonProfit Times' "Top 100 Revenues"
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy's "Philanthropy 400"
- The American Institute of Philanthropy's "Top Rated Charities"
In addition, Compassion is a member of several accrediting agencies, including:
- Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (founding member)
- Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance